Most people today look for tall hedges at low costs for beautifying their homes. This is the reason why fast-growing hedge plants are becoming popular. These fast-growing hedges give an instant impact and help you to save money since they grow fast and implies that you won’t be needing to buy a lot of tall plants when you have these. Planting them will also help to increase your privacy while adding a beautiful landscape to your garden. You can find the list of best fast-growing hedges below:
List Of Fast Growing Hedges
Berberis Ottawensis is a hedge plant with red or purple attractive foliage and provides seasonal variations like orange berries during the spring season, yellow flowers during the summer and striking fiery colors or orange spreading on the leaves during the autumn. This hedge plant has a growth of around 40 cm to 60 cm per year. Most people prefer red Berberis as a beautiful colored hedging choice.
Blackthorn Hedge Plants
They have stunning white spring flowers. These are wildlife-friendly along with having thorny stems which makes them an ideal deterrent for intruders. This hedge plant works well as a mixed and native hedge that can reach around 40 cm to 60 cm per year.
You might also like: Best Trees For Privacy That Grow Fast
Pyracantha Orange Hedge
This plant bears vibrant berries during the autumn and produces white fragrant flowers during the summers. This hedge plant grows about 30 cm to 60 cm every year and looks gorgeous when left for developing a natural aesthetic look. It is also used as a climber for the decoration of trellises and fences.
Cherry Laurel is one of the most popular plant species for anyone looking for evergreen and classic hedge. It has large and glossy foliage which creates a wonderful feature in your garden throughout the year. It achieves a growth of 30 cm to 60 cm every year and does not take much time to achieve the height desired by the consumer.
The Golden Leylandii
This hedge plant gives the same features as the traditional Leylandii hedge with evergreen foliage and a dense habit which is good for screening purposes. It has a quick growth rate of above 60 cm every year and also has an attractive addition of golden foliage.
Green Bamboo hedging is the ideal way to give one’s garden a little exotic twist as it provides an evergreen and dense coverage and is a great added texture to one’s garden paradise. The Green Bamboo hedge also has a growth rate above 60 cm every year and Phyllostachys Bissetii is considered one of the quickest growing hedge plants.
Also check: How To Get Rid Of Nutsedge Weeds
Another one of the hedge plants that are good for privacy is Alder Hedge. They are one of the native hedging plants which thrive and grow in wet soil. This hedge plant has a nitrogen-fixing property which can help to recover poor soils and also improve the condition of various surrounding plants. They are also one of the fast-growing hedges for privacy that grows around 60 cm per year. The Alnus Glutinosa is the best choice for people who wish to create a high hedge quickly.
The Fuchsia Magellanica is a hedging plant that is attractive and has unusual flowers which grow well in the milder areas of the UK. It is capable of reaching around 3m in its height and can be pruned easily to the desired height. It grows well in sheltered and shady spots.
Also check: How Can Slice Seeding Help My Lawn?
This evergreen hedging plant which has an apple green color and oval-shaped leaves is suited for growth in seaside gardens or sheltered areas. They must be avoided in northern and exposed situations. This hedging plant grows around 30cm per year and grows well in sunny spots.
Beech (Fagus Sylvatica)
Beech or Fagus sylvatica is an attractive dense hedge, which provides growth of around 30 cm per year and is deciduous. If the leaves of the plant are clipped during the autumn season, they retain their copper-colored leaves by the winter season and are replaced by fresh new green leaves during the spring season.
Tips For Planting Fast Growing Hedges
- The first step before planting the hedges is to prepare the ground. You have to make sure that the ground where the hedges would be planted is weeded. To get more information about removing weeds, I suggest you check our article about strong weed killer.
- To ensure that the hedges grow fast, choose mature plants first. You can get hedge plants as bare-root, pot grown or root balled. If you are looking to enhance privacy in your garden at a rapid pace, then you should choose pot grown hedges.
- Spacing is very important. For hedge plants like Leylandii and Laurel, you should give a space of at least 60 cm and can extend to even 100 cm. If you are planting bamboos, then you should leave a space of 100 to 150 cm for 1 plant. However, privet species needs to be planted closer together with four plants in a space of 1 meter.
- Remember, tall and dense hedges can block out the natural light so you need to maintain the hedges to a reasonable height to ensure neither you nor your neighbor has any problems with the hedges particularly if they are planted along the shared border.
- One of the cheapest ways of planting hedges is by planting bare root hedges during the dormant season which occurs between November and February. Most hedge plants like yew, hornbeam, and beech can be grown in such a manner. Evergreen hedging plants like privet grow best if planted during early autumn.
- One should choose hedging plants which establish fast and grow quickly like quick growth hedging plants which have a minimum growth of at least 30 cm per year. Hedging plants can provide many benefits along with beautifying up your garden into a green paradise for different species of plants and wildlife.
- The best time to plant your hedges is early spring or autumn. You should avoid times when the ground is covered with frost. You can grow the hedges outside this suggested time, but then you would have to take great care that the roots stay moist and don’t dry out.
Advantages of Hedging
- Hedges provide a sense of privacy and also provides a type of boundary which helps divide your garden into different organized sections for proper gardening.
- Hedges are excellent alternatives for fences and provide interest throughout the year and also provide food and shelter for various varieties of wildlife.
- Hedges are also better windbreakers than fences as they help to filter the flowing wind instead of making eddies in the garden.
So there you have it, these are the fast-growing hedges for privacy that we think the best for your home. Planting these provides additional beauty to your yard or garden. If you have any questions, write us a comment.